Tuesday 14 February 2012

New interview with Craig Owens, talks about his shows and fans


Excerpts from the interview:

Craig Owens remains one of music's most mercurial front men; a challenging, committed artist that understands the importance of maintaining a sense of mystery.

At 15, the Michigan native founded the band Chiodos, went on to work on such interesting side projects as Cinematic Sunrise, and Isles & Glaciers. Owens has also collaborated in The Sound of Animals Fighting collective, and today, leads Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows (D.R.U.G.S.), which also features Matt Good (ex-From First to Last), Aaron Stern (ex-Matchbook Romance), Nick Martin (Underminded), and Adam Russell (Story of the Year).


You always seem so focused on delivering an intense, personal, revealing show.

First of all, I think rock 'n' roll is based on vulnerability. I mean, the moment Steven Tyler started singing in that high pitched voice is when people really started catching on. The moment when Mick Jagger really let go is when people starting getting it. So yeah, I really believe the more of yourself you show on stage, the better it is for everyone. But, I've always considered myself more of a writer than anything else.


Which means you must read a lot.

Absolutely.

What do you like to read?

Lots! Let's see, recently I've been getting into Chuck Palahniuk, but hey, I love Walt Whitman, Emerson Carl Sandburg - I'll even work in some Harry Potter sometimes. Like performing, in order to write you have to open up and be vulnerable, so that's what I do.

Which your fans seem to not just appreciate, but also sort of thrive on.

Well, if I give them my heart and passion and mean every word I say and they know this isn't just some fabricated way to sell a product, then they see that and they reciprocate, you know? Then they also reveal themselves to me. I love that relationship with them.

Read Craig's full interview at Noisecreep and for D.R.U.G.S tour dates and to buy tickets. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment