Wednesday 17 April 2013

Kate del Castillo's mentions K-11 interview with Latina



Kate del Castillo is one accomplished mujer. From a successful crossover career to a producer and now -- the face of her very own perfume, Flor Violeta by Avon. (Pssst... find out how to enter to win a bottle at the end!) We caught up with the successful actress to talk her most difficult roles, her personal style and whether it's really getting better for Latinos in Hollywood.

How did you and Avon come up with the name "Flor Violeta?"

I wanted to give a nod to the fact that I am Mexican, I do speak Spanish and it’s a part of me, but also give the perfume a name that Americans understand and can pronounce and that is feminine. When people read it they know exactly what we’re talking about and get an idea of what it smells like.

What does it smell like?

It’s floral, it’s violet, it’s fruity, it’s fresh. I love it. I love the freshness that has this fruity blend. It really reminds you of a dreamy landscape. The best part is that it stays on you for so long and just lifts your mood, gives you this joyfulness.

Why did you decide to partner with Avon for a fragrance?

There’s something about perfume. Whatever you wear, whatever your style, there’s one thing that people associate with you, that thing that you remember someone for. And that’s scent.

Besides fragrance, what are your must-have beauty products?

I use different things. Stuff for my hair – I always use serum. For my face, I always have with me some kind of powder. I don’t use foundation a lot, if really at all. I love lipgloss but I hate the ones that are too shiny. I don’t like super-shiny gloss. And I’m big on mascara. I use it probably every day.

What’s your number one beauty tip?

Eat right; eat healthy. I think that’s the main thing for everything. For your hair, for your skin, even your mind – it makes you better!

How would you describe your style?

Casual, comfortable, but still with character – not boring.

Your favorite fashion moment – a dress? A red carpet event?

I loved what I wore to the La Misma Luna premiere in LA. I loved everything about that look, my makeup, my hair… everything.

Who would you consider your style icon? Why?
 
I love Nicole Kidman, not only is she beautiful, she’s just elegant and classy. I just think she dresses perfectly. I love Cate Blanchett. I think she has this peaceful presence about her, whatever she wears. She’s just strong and confident, but in a zen-like way.  
 
Who’s career would you love to emulate? Why?
 
I love Naomi Watts, Tilda Swinton, Tilda and I worked together long time ago,  but I loved her movie Orlando. It made me want to be an actress. Well, I was already acting but it just increased that passion. It inspired me to keep going. I keep watching it over and over again. Naomi Watts has the best career ever. She’s played amazing characters, but yet she seems to have this relatively normal life. She has the full package – career and family.
 
You’ve been in everything from telenovelas to big budget films. What’s been your favorite role thus far?
 
I feel like I’m cheating on one if I say the other. I love it all. I think playing a transsexual in K-11 was my most challenging role.  I tried to do all the research I could, minding the time that they give you, to get ready and prepare. So I read and watched all the movies and got closer to transgender people who could teach me. I learned a lot. I was very ignorant about the whole transgendered world, and it was interesting to play all these different sides: to feel, react, play masculine, play feminine.

What roles are you drawn to?
 
I love controversy. Strong roles, strong women. I love physicality, I love action, really interesting roles. I did a movie with Kevin Kline called Trade and it dealt with human trafficking so of course, if you can create some kind of awareness from a movie, it’s even better.
 
What’s been your experience with being Latina in Hollywood – do you think it’s getting better? Do you still feel stereotyped at all?
 
I’m going to be honest, I do feel stereotyped. I think its changing yes, but its changing very slowly. All the scripts that I read, for pilot seasons, there’s always a role for Latino, which is great. We’ve come so far. But it’s still… not quite there.  Before we were gardeners and prostitutes, now we’re cops. Hopefully it’ll change for everyone’s sake.
 
What would be your advice for Latinas who want to do what you have done – work as an actress?
 
There’s a lot of competition here and everywhere. Everyone is very talented and they prepare. So if you really want to be an actor, you have to be prepared. Fame shouldn’t be your motivation.
 
What’s next on your radar – upcoming projects?
 
I’m developing bunch of stuff,  for the US. Right now I have a webseries, second one that I produce, on Univison, Arranque de PasiĆ³n and I’m starting a movie in a month or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment